Who is the Scrum Master?
Scrum Guide gives two answers..:
– The first one says that Scrum Master is the person who is responsible for making sure that Scrum is properly understood by every member of the Scrum Team, so that the rules and values are not just dead records and practicing Scrum is the reason for success in the tasks that the Scrum Team is faced with. A Scrum Master is a person who needs to know Scrum professionally, understand what it’s all about, and effectively share that knowledge with the Team.
– The second answer is that Scrum Master is the so-called servant leader, which is a person for whom the success of the whole Team is important. Scrum Master is for the Developer Team, Product Owner, Intressors and Organization, among other things, to remove obstacles that hinder the work of the whole Team with its soft skills.
In short, Scrum Master is supposed to be a great organizer, for whom the most important goal is a smoothly working Scrum Team.
How to get the first knowledge coming out of practice?
Here, it will undoubtedly be helpful to participate in meetings, workshops organized by communities or groups that promote and share knowledge from the area of agile approach to software development. During the meetings Scrum Masters and Scrum Masters share interesting cases. It is also an opportunity to talk and ask about things that bother you.
Where to look for information about events?
Should I have the Scrum Master Certificate immediately?
No, but it is really worth preparing yourself as if you were to take the exam. The questions you can come across are often a reflection of the situations you may encounter while working in Scrum. In addition, knowing the answers to them you have a hint in your pocket how to deal with a similar situation in your team.
What soft skills are needed for a good start?
This is an extremely important question! If you don’t like working with people, getting involved, solving their problems at the process level and soft skills only interfere with communication, then the role of Scrum Master is not for you.
Many techniques and tools can be learned and even should be learned. However, if empathy is your weakest point, then perhaps the role of Scrum Master or Scrum Master should not be your choice.
What’s a good start? Surely knowledge of feedback-building, communication and conflict resolution. Scrum Masters and Scrum Masters move around in these areas practically every day.
As a curiosity, a link to the emotional intelligence assessment test: https://globalleadershipfoundation.com/geit/eitest.html .
Which courses of study can be helpful?
Basically, there is no course of study that is required to become a Scrum Master or Scrum Master. You don’t need to be a technical person to perform this role in the Team. Nevertheless, the ability to think logically and analytically is even essential as it is the task of the Master or Scrum Master to take care of the process.
What do we ask at an interview?
– What fascinates you in Scrum?
– Why do you want to be a Scrum Master?
– What will you do if one of the team members is notoriously late for scrum events?
– How will you give feedback?
– Your previous experience?
– How would you like to develop professionally?
– How will you deal with a conflict situation in the team – the developer and tester cannot communicate, are malicious to each other, do not listen to each other?
You should also expect questions directly related to Scrum Guida or strongly related to it.
A beginner scrum master’s library.
Scrum Guide Ken Schwaber, Jeff Sutherland
“Scrum Labyrinths” by J. Wieczorek
“Team building. Scrum Master’s Hammer” by M. Żeromski
“Scrum, or how to do twice as much and twice as fast” Jeff Sutherland
“Software development in 30 days. Program agile and fast” Ken Schwaber, Jeff Sutherlandhttps://agile247.pl